The new markers in use

Started by FierceKitty, 27 November 2016, 11:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

27 November 2016, 11:44:57 AM Last Edit: 27 November 2016, 11:50:07 AM by FierceKitty
Made of card strips with stiffening, strips of batting glued on (for those unfamiliar with the term, it's a type of padding material used in sewing); trim with scissors, spray with fixative. The marker stays in place to show that the first volley has been fired and the unit is now less effective.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

FierceKitty

'nutha one.

petercooman

Subedai

I quite like that idea. The depiction and the detriment of battlefield visibility from smoke has baffled rule writes for years. This -to my mind at least- is as simple and effective a method as any I have come across.

MickS  
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

FierceKitty

27 November 2016, 12:43:35 PM #4 Last Edit: 27 November 2016, 12:57:46 PM by FierceKitty
I have seen better ones with little LED lights giving very effective orange flashes in the smoke at intervals and in different places. Of course, distant crackles and pops and crepitations would be good too. All a bit pricey, perhaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wta4p6eXYH4

fsn

Quote from: Subedai on 27 November 2016, 12:30:35 PM
I quite like that idea. The depiction and the detriment of battlefield visibility from smoke has baffled rule writes for years. This -to my mind at least- is as simple and effective a method as any I have come across.

Agreed. Looks good. I've used cotton wool in the past, then move them with the wind drift, but this looks far more stable.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

The fixative is important; otherwise the stuff sheds fibres everywhere. On top of that, we always have a fan and the air-con running here (go figure), so bases are a necessary feature.

Nick the Lemming

They look pretty good, and effective too.

d_Guy

Never occurred to me to use fixative. Thanks for that idea! The times I've tried (using cotton puffs) they got stuck to everything and ended up looking like a unbrushed kitty had taken a nap in the middle of the board.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner