Amazing Amazons.

Started by fsn, 20 October 2016, 07:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Hello. It's FSN here. I know I don't usually stray into Fantasy territory, but that's just because I reached puberty some years ago.  :P

Anyway. I thought I'd make a suggestion for a new range of Warband - yes it's as unlikely as me asking for some additions to the LoA range (which IMHO still lacks sufficient Grenadiers attending to their Moustaches) - but I have it in the back of my mind to someday do a Hollywood Trojan wars, and I think that Amazons would be a nifty addition.

Yes, I know there are already a range of Amazions out there ... but they're ... um ... in need of an update. I imaging something like the cover of the old Runequest box. Classic Hoplite armour. Light infantry bows and pelta in tunics.

Just a suggestion.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

Sorry - is that the cover of the Runequest rules or Orcs & Mrs Orcs first date?

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

fred.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Wulf

Anything vaguely classical age with realistic proportions would be nice. Even a 'Xena' or a 'Wonder Woman' version...

Admittedly, at 10mm scale, armoured females ought to be near indistiguishable from armoured males unless they have long hair...

fsn

Well, Guv, that depends on yer sculptor, innit?

If you've got yer good sculptor, 'e can, even in 10mm mind you, 'e can wield that green putty beautful like. Would bring a tear to the eye of a statue. Yer good sculptor could make a woman, right, in armour, right, and it be totally different to a man. You'd see it right away. Is all about yer cuurves, innit? Stans to reason. Obvious like. 'Cos yer female form, right, has more curves than yer average bloke.

That Pendraken lot, right, they knows all about it. Science like. Some of them Pendraken sculptors, right, would do a lovely job on them Amazons. Beautiful. So lovely, you'd think they could come to life and run about. Admittedly, bit more work needed to show it's some woman if she's in armour with a bloomin' big shield across her front, but the light infantry - no problem. And your more open pose, you know what I mean - no not that - I mean open with the arms, like, would be obvious to anyone but a one eyed cat walking away from you.   

That Techno bloke. He'll be on here in a minute. He's one. Yes, he is - and a sculptor. He's always hanging about, dunno how he ever gets anyfing done sculpting wise. Anyway he'll be on 'ere telling us how difficult it would be but you know he'd do a beautiul job. Turn his hand to anything he could. You name it. You ask Techno to create a Flying War Mastodon, and he'd make one up without blinking. That's mostly due to the eye condition, but no time flat. Mastodon - wings - 40mm cannon. Boosh!

Yers, Mate. If he does some Amazons, they'd be more than just blokes with two big loaves stuck on the chest. Be things of beauty. Enough to make a statue weep.

You mark my words.

Wulf

Admittedly so - and, I believe, challenge issued - but what I should have said was, historically accurate 10mm scale females in armour would be virtually indistinguishable apart from the hair. There are plenty of examples of them keeping their gender hidden after all.

fsn

Oh, if you're going to ruin it all with historical!  :P

I agree. How many films have the mysterious warrior/knight/ninja appear, kind seven shades out a bunch of chaps then take off the helmet or mask or whatever and be ... female?

How many of them then, having shown the sense of full armour then discard it in favour of a mail bikini?  :-\

It is, as you say, a challenge. One which I think the Pendraken sculptors will rise to.

For freaky support, which seems to be the requirement for Wardband, I suggest archer on a griffin.

Wulf

I think the worst has to be Kiera Knightly in that Arthurian thing. Not the... biggest... of girls, it did nothing for her being clad in no more than a collection of leather belts...

p.s. it's got to be scythed chariots for support...

FierceKitty

I love willowy, trim-figured women.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Wulf

The one good thing about the Boudicca film, made in the Xena style with a cast of tens and a budget collected in a hat, was Alex Kingston, a fairly scary woman...

Leman

I'm with FK on this. Never seen the appeal of massive bazookas. Long, shapely legs are much more my cuppa.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno

Take it from me.....

Female figures are VERY difficult to do.....Unless you spend absolutely ages on them.

Cheers - Phil

Wulf

I assume Milliput sets under drool...

Ithoriel

Surely the support for Amazons would be centaurs, harpies, gorgons and minotaurs!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

Griffins are formidable!

There are already centaurs; harpies and gorgons are chaotic evil and minotaurs are male.

*Please help me - I'm starting to sound like I speak D&D*