Figures for Monmouth Rebellion & Glorious Revolution

Started by sjwalker51, 14 October 2016, 07:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjwalker51

Inspired by the LoA range to put together a couple of armies for the Monmouth Rebellion, which will inevitably expand to cover the Williamite Wars in due course.

Can you recommend which LoA packs are most suited to the '85 and suggest any other packs from other ranges that might add greater variety? I'm thinking in particular of ECW peasants and unarmoured pikemen to stand alongside the scythe men, some ECW cavalry etc.

All advice gratefully received - still got plenty of reading to do before I go the show in Leeds in a couple of weeks!

Sandinista

There is a school of thought that Monmouth's army was not as shabby as some make out. James using the rebellion to aid in downgrading the militia system and boost his plans to create a larger standing army.

Cheers
Ian

sjwalker51

Meant to ask, I see there are flags available for 1688+, but are there any flags available for Monmouth's army in 1685, or is it a case of DIY?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

d_Guy

Quote from: sjwalker51 on 15 October 2016, 10:28:51 PM
Meant to ask, I see there are flags available for 1688+, but are there any flags available for Monmouth's army in 1685, or is it a case of DIY?
I took a quick look at the Pendraken William III LoA flags (~1689) and compared to the
James II flags at Sedgemoor (using Christopher Scot's book). The short answer is they are not interchangeable, but close in some respects.

PNFL201 does contain all four English regiment at Sedgemoor: 1st Gds, 2nd Gds, Kirk's and Trelawney's but only the Guards are close in design.

PNFL204 contains the Royal Regiment of Foot (Dunbarton's) and, while very close to the Sedgemoor flag, still not an exact match - the circlet around the thistle is different.

Strangely, the Williamite Trelawney's would give you the Colonel's and Lt. Colonel's of the 2nd Guard at Sedgemoor, Leven's would probably give Dunbarton's and Hale's the Colonel's for 1st Guard (but would need Lt. Col for the second battalion)

I generally make my flags detachable and will use my DIY for Sedgemoor and Pendraken's for Ireland.

Hope this helps (or even makes sense :))
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

owaincaesarius

IIRC all the flags for the Royal army are in the files section of the warflag Yahoo group. Of course it would be nice too see some rebel figures to add to the scythmen already available.

d_Guy

Currently working on Monmouth's rebel army. The excellent scythemen convert nicely to pikemen and since the military cut and civilian cut were essentially identical, the musketeers and officers seem to work well with for the rebels also. Same with the pikemen (without breast plate).
I would like a few more musketeers in Monmouth caps but have done a few headswaps from ECW. Have also taken a few heads With Morion helmets to place on a few of the pikemen.

I'm doing about half of the red regiment in uniform coats (Monmouth supposedly brought red coats lined purple with him) and will probably put a few of the figures in the rebel army in red coats lined yellow or white to represent militia defectors..

What would be cool is to have horse with three-bar, English style pot helmets. Going to just go with the European style already available.

Have also converted a smattering of sythemen to pitchforks. Hope to get a few pictures up soon.
Good luck with your project OWC , hope you'll be able to put up pics at some point also.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on