Campaigns

Started by Rob, 02 May 2016, 02:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

I wonder if those more knowledgeable than me can help. My rules have an integral simple campaign system and although not mandatory it certainly gives battles context, sorts out who's attacking or defending and what troops are available. I've been using the Malcolm McCallum's maps http://www.murat.ca/maps.htm which for a free download are excellent.

My problem is the campaign maps and real life. I have run very successful 1814 and 1815 campaigns at home but they are not practical for a club evening. Paper maps with cardboard markers are fiddly, takeup space, open to silly errors and can be time consuming when it comes to carrying data forward in the campaign.

What I would like to do is use the Malcolm McCallum's maps on-line or find some mapmaking software to do my own. The idea is to make the moves on-line and use email so the club meeting is just for the battle.

Does anyone know of any reasonably priced software that would give me this?

Cheers, Rob   :) :)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The Timecast lads use a PDF of the historical maps, superimposed into word, then small text boxes to represent formations, easily allows stacking, and if players want they can print a full version of the map (although for 1866 it was taller than Barrie)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

I use The GIMP for photo editing and the like and have used that to do a 3-player, Sumerian era, map campaign.

If you can get your head around how layers work it can let you do some smart stuff with campaign maps. I had a clean copy of the base map and a file of symbols for cities, forts, fleets and armies. The map layer was static. The settlements layer only needed edited if a city or fort changed hands. The units layer was updated every move.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

Interested, I Googled GIMP.

:o
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Rob

Thanks for the quick responses chaps.

Lemmy; that sounds do-able. I have Visio and have been playing around with that. I can insert the maps into a Visio and add boxes to represent brigades etc. The good thing here is when saved Visio remembers what was behind the shapes so as I move them the map doesnt get destroyed. Not everyone will have Visio so I must save as a word doc and email. Return moves must be given as text intructions which I can then transfer to the Visio map, save as word an email.

Ithorial; I must say that sounds very good. I've had a look on-line and it's free. Happy days. I'll have a play and report back.

Thanks  :) :)

Rob

Quote from: fsn on 02 May 2016, 04:09:47 PM
Interested, I Googled GIMP.

:o

I dare not ask why  >:(

fsn

Ithoriel says he used it for photo editing.

I'm a long time Photoshop user.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Rob

Ithoriel

Yes, The GIMP is a term to search for with care, for sure :)

NSFW, at least not with the sound up!

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

GrumpyOldMan

Hello Rob

I just came across this but haven't had a chance to play with it yet:-
https://sites.google.com/site/artofwarfare2/home.

Alternatively you could look at stuff like Cyberboard or Vassal pbem game systems

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan

Hello Rob

There is also Campaigner - http://download.cnet.com/Campaigner/3000-2121_4-10867850.html - Free

Just going back over my software, I'd recommend Cyberboard - http://cyberboard.brainiac.com/ it's very good. Boardgame examples are here http://www.limeyyankgames.co.uk/cyberboard - Free

tutorial on using Cyberboard for Friedrich with an example map, counters, etc http://friedrich.muster-roll.com/Friedrich/Default.aspx

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Rob

Thanks Grumpy, you are a star.  :)

I think there all a bit BIG for my needs. What I mean is they will need formatting and are a game in their own right rather than being an add-on that gives context to my games. I think they could still be used but for fighting full capaigns with multiple players, whereas my campaign rules would cover the action when opponents meet in the same hex.
I think the low tech answers involving copying the maps and placing symbols on them will be the short term answer.

You certainly do have a talent for unearthing interesting items Grumpy. Thanks again.  :)

Cheers, Rob  :) :)

Ithoriel

Quote from: Rob on 03 May 2016, 10:27:33 PM

You certainly do have a talent for unearthing interesting items Grumpy. Thanks again.  :)

I'll second those sentiments!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Womble67

Quote from: Rob on 03 May 2016, 10:27:33 PM

Agreed

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!