Paper hoplites

Started by petercooman, 29 February 2016, 08:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

29 February 2016, 08:32:06 PM Last Edit: 29 February 2016, 09:04:59 PM by petercooman
So, after seeing fiercekitty's pictures of Gaugamela, the impetus itch was too great and i dug out my copy. ( yes kitty, i am blaming you for this madness!)

I have some top down paper minis for basic impetus tucked in a folder, but when i pulled them out and started to arrange them, i said to myself:

"These look like cr*p, with 22 years of modelling under my belt, i must surely be able to make something better for this."

So i started looking around. Now ,gaming ancients is something i don't do very much, so i needed a quick solution, before i got distracted by something else. After looking at miniatures, and reaching the conclusion that it would take a long time to get them ready for a game, i went over to juniorgeneral and had a browse of the ancients section for greeks that would fit my plans (stand ups this time) .I wanted to do Sparta vs Athens because i really like hoplites! I have always liked the way hoplites look, with their colourfull shields!

When i finally found what i was looking for, i started printing straight away. I cut, folded and glued all evening ( and a part of the night) yesterday, and had a go at modifying some cavalry with paint this afternoon, after wich i painted and flocked all the bases and finished the army. In less than a day!

I'm pretty happy with the result, as it didn't cost me much, but looks good enough for a decent game.

Now enough jabbering, on to pictures:

the entire lot

The spartans:

Spartan hoplite formations with slingers and psiloi to their front

more spartan units and A few units of perioikoi, with archers in front of them

The army of Athens:

Athenian hoplites with psiloi in front of them

And more hoplites with slingers and archers in front of them.

The Athenians also have some cavalry:

So that's everything!

These force are actually 4 Basic impetus armies instead of 2, as i have chosen to make double the units to use in Multi basic impetus (wich doubles your army)

There are also many more skirmishing units than i need, but as you can choose between archers, slingers and psiloi, i decided to make duplicates of them, so i can choose whatever i want for the battle.

They don't look as good as minis, but i think they are more then enough for the occasional scrap between the City states!

fred.

They certainly work!

And you can't get past the speed of production - two armies in one evening is super fast.

I did some top down counters for ACW, and was very pleased with how they looked, and how quickly I could create them, it took nearly as long to duplicate up the graphics to make counters of the right size as it did to cut them all out.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

petercooman

29 February 2016, 09:03:54 PM #2 Last Edit: 29 February 2016, 09:09:55 PM by petercooman
Quote from: fred. on 29 February 2016, 08:41:01 PM
They certainly work!

And you can't get past the speed of production - two armies in one evening is super fast.

I did some top down counters for ACW, and was very pleased with how they looked, and how quickly I could create them, it took nearly as long to duplicate up the graphics to make counters of the right size as it did to cut them all out.

Indeed you can make them fast!

That was one of the reasons that i made my first armies with top down counters. But as i said, with all those beautifull shield designs with hoplite heavy armies, i feel that stand ups are better suited for the job. My top downs only show helmets and spears, and that makes an otherwise colourfull period very bland.It's also easier to visualise the battle when you're sitting down if you can see the troops without having to stick your head out over the table.

I also think i have come to a period in my life where i benefit more from these types of projects than 'normal' miniature projects. With the baby and the busy schedule of work, soccer practice and matches for the boy, and not neglecting SWMBO, there is almost no time to finish stuff, so when i can get an evening in to finish painting a single model or unit, it's more productive to do this sort of stuff (or small miniature projects like my zombie games) as opposed to getting those 700 miniatures painted to game a certain period. There are 843 paper blokes in these forces and they finish much quicker  :D

It's a good wargaming fix to bridge those first two busy years of baby-care. I remember it getting better after that, it did so with our first child. Of course there are also enough miniatures in my lead pile for when i feel the need to paint too!

paulr

Definitely a good way to bridge those busy years :)

The flock certainly makes a difference
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

Thanks!

I had the bases entirely plain at first, but it just looked muchto plain. Luckily i had a tub of flock i almost never use (i mostly use static grass), so i put that on. Really happy with how that worked!

fred.

Paper figures defiantly move wargames closer to board games, both in look and probably more importantly in the speed of setup.

And as you say time is at a premium with small children - it does get better. Then after a few years they want transporting around lots to various events and activities.

These do look good and the flocking helps.

Over on LAF there are some pictures of some paper figures by Peter Dennis for both WoTR and Norman conquest period - these are very detailed, they look like the boxes for Perry miniatures. And on these they have cut out all the weapons and banners and other sticky up stuff - looks like a nightmare to cut. I actually quite like the white around the spears on these guys - gives a kind of informal cartoon style .

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Fenton

They look good Peter. Where did you find the images, or did you do them yourself?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

petercooman

Quote from: fred. on 29 February 2016, 11:03:33 PM
I actually quite like the white around the spears on these guys - gives a kind of informal cartoon style .

I like them that way, makes them more sturdy, and also means i can stack the bases on top of each other for limited storage.

Quote from: Fenton on 29 February 2016, 11:40:24 PM
They look good Peter. Where did you find the images, or did you do them yourself?

They come from juniorgeneral.org:

hoplites:
http://www.juniorgeneral.org/index.php/figure/view/GreekHoplitesSyracusan

for cavalry i recolored nr 4 in this one:

http://www.juniorgeneral.org/index.php/figure/view/AntigonidCavalry

and for skirmishers i just used these:

http://www.juniorgeneral.org/index.php/figure/view/AntigonidInfantry

There's more to be had if you are looking for phalanx in the same style too:
http://www.juniorgeneral.org/index.php/figure/view/AntigonidPhalanx
http://www.juniorgeneral.org/index.php/figure/view/GreekPhalangitesKoinonHellenon

Fenton

Cheers

I am tempted to do this just so I can get some games I
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Steve J

I like those a lot and must give them a go on a variety of projects.

Subedai

I have looked at the Junior General site a number of time and thought...maybe. With those groupings and bases the needle of interest has moved well into the plus zone now. Great idea plus the basing does all the selling for you.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I've sent this thread to Junior General himself, he loves it!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Roy

Those look brilliant!  :)

Definitely an idea  :-\
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

toxicpixie

They're excellent, Peter!

Definitely a good use of an evening-ish plus. Lets hope they perform on table :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

I have had some fun with paper armies over the last ten years. All top downs though.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!