2mm napoleonic french and british

Started by petercooman, 17 December 2015, 09:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

Snapped some piccies of my recently finished 2mm troops, only thing missing are the commanders, but i haven't decided how to base them up yet.  Was going to base them on 20mm round originally, but as the bases are only 30 x15 that didn't look good. I'll probably do them on 1 cent pieces for the divisional hq's and 2 or 5 cent pieces for the army commanders.

Painting ain't much to look at, but i wanted to finish fast (because,you know, not buying new projects before i finish an old project, and it's almost christmass  ;) )

Westmarcher

Quote from: petercooman on 17 December 2015, 09:02:07 AM
Painting ain't much to look at, but i wanted to finish fast

Does the business as far as I'm concerned, Peter.  =D>
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Techno

petercooman

Thanks!

Quote from: Westmarcher on 17 December 2015, 09:51:48 AM
Does the business as far as I'm concerned, Peter.  =D>

Yup, this really is a 'as long as it looks good on the table' scale!

Leman

Remarkably good for such small figures, and standing out very well. I am moire and more tempted to have a go at something like Langensalza using 2mm figures.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

petercooman

Quote from: Leman on 17 December 2015, 11:19:42 AM
Remarkably good for such small figures, and standing out very well. I am moire and more tempted to have a go at something like Langensalza using 2mm figures.

They paint up easily too. Only thing fiddly about them are their flags (painting them that is).I think irregular also make Blocks without flags. Might be easier to just use those, drill a small hole and insert a dressing pin cut to size with a resized paper flag.(maybe shrink a 6mm flag by half or something). This way you could also make a bunch of flags and change them when you want. Apart from the flag there are no noticeable differences in uniform in this scale so this means you can use your unit for every other unit that had the same unform colours!

They also come on cast on bases, if you like that, but i found that too small to handle. Hence the decision to put them on 30 x15 bases. This also means that i can put 4 bases togheter to get a 60x 30 unit, because it seems there are quite a few rulesets that use that basing (like the polemos series) or use them for rulesets that adopt the 40 x 20 basing, and just tweak the ranges by 1/4th!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

jambo1

Very nice, I have thought about doing 2mm but yet to take the plunge. :-bd

Fenton

Very nice work Peter

I do like the smaller scales
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Subedai

Quote from: petercooman on 17 December 2015, 09:02:07 AM
Painting ain't much to look at, but i wanted to finish fast (because,you know, not buying new projects before i finish an old project, and it's almost christmass  ;) )

As they say over the pond, here's the thing. Don't put yourself down. If you are happy with them then that's fine, after all, they are your figures and it's your hobby so anyone who doesn't like them then that's their problem.

I like them, the colours are strong and the bases look good and if it's one thing that gets me interested in something new it's nicely painted Tiny Chaps and these are nicely painted Very Tiny Chaps. Unfortunately I have enough on my wargaming plate to keep me occupied for quite a few whiles. Although...
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

petercooman

Quote from: Subedai on 17 December 2015, 08:43:52 PM
As they say over the pond, here's the thing. Don't put yourself down. If you are happy with them then that's fine, after all, they are your figures and it's your hobby so anyone who doesn't like them then that's their problem.

It's not that i don't like them, but i know i rushed them  ;D

But they are not meant to look like works of art, 2 mm is all about visual effect on the table! And i think i achieved the effect i wanted! I guess i meant that the painting ain't much to look at when you look at them one model at a time  ;)

Quote from: mad lemmey on 17 December 2015, 03:53:57 PM
Super! Love the squares too!  8)

The rules i'm using assume the individual commanders decide when to change formation so it doesn't matter wich formation the troops currently have. I thought the squares are nice, so added them in for variety!

kodiakblair

Great stuff and I'm 110% with you on the visual impact ,firmly of the "paint what you can see" mindset here ;)

A fella asked on the Yahoo 2mm group about Tricornes and if they were sculpted on a certain code,told him no and what would be the point when at even 1 foot away you can't really see the flesh
dots used for faces.Sitting at a table and viewing the opposition across a 6x4 table gives about the same view a general would get viewing from a mile away. Who expects Tricornes at that distance ?

Fenton

If you are a little unhappy with them you could maybe try a very thin black wash over them.
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

petercooman

Quote from: kodiakblair on 27 December 2015, 01:08:09 AM
Great stuff and I'm 110% with you on the visual impact ,firmly of the "paint what you can see" mindset here ;)

A fella asked on the Yahoo 2mm group about Tricornes and if they were sculpted on a certain code,told him no and what would be the point when at even 1 foot away you can't really see the flesh
dots used for faces.Sitting at a table and viewing the opposition across a 6x4 table gives about the same view a general would get viewing from a mile away. Who expects Tricornes at that distance ?

Don't think he gets the concept of 2 mm  ;D
The beaty of them is that you can use the 'blocks' for whatever you want!

Quote from: Fenton on 27 December 2015, 08:55:06 AM
If you are a little unhappy with them you could maybe try a very thin black wash over them.

I think i'm going to leave them like that, they are in the 'good enough' category  :D

d_Guy

I agree with Kodiakbear, really like the over-all effect, plus you can do really big battles! For me at least the whole point in doing this is playing with them. Hope you'll post pics when you have them in action!
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on