Mustering the Troops - Paul's modest contribution

Started by paulr, 11 February 2015, 07:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

09 May 2015, 10:44:05 PM #285 Last Edit: 09 May 2015, 10:46:14 PM by paulr
The offical blog has posted some more pictures, this time focusing on the setting around the diorama and the visitor's interacting with it.

Approaching the diorama past some of the 200 colourised pictures in the New Zealand Room

The first view of the diorama

My daughter and I examining the diorama

Seeing all ages engaged by the diorama makes it even more worthwhile

More pictures and Roly's thoughts here, http://anzacdiorama.blogspot.co.nz/2015/05/more-photos-of-sir-peter-jacksons.html
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

WeeWars

Paul, When you walk in the room, you must first see the barren landscape? How near do you have to get before you begin to recognise that it's armies of men populating the terrain?
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Quote from: WeeWars on 09 May 2015, 11:11:43 PM
Paul, When you walk in the room, you must first see the barren landscape? How near do you have to get before you begin to recognise that it's armies of men populating the terrain?

I found that my eye was caught by the trench line and you notice the difference between the empty trench and where it is occupied at several meters.

The trench line leads your eye to the two companies of Ottomans counter attacking near the pillar and again you can see they are people from several meters away.

As you get closer more and more detail is revealed, such as the casualties suffered by that counter attack (from MGs and rifle fire from the Apex)

WeeWars

Quite different from how we usually perceive a game on the tabletop: figures first, terrain second.
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Good grief !! :o :o :o

NOW
I'm beginning to understand the scale of the display !
I was somewhat overawed with yesterday' s photo's....But today.....

(WOW again) - Phil.

Steve J

A simply stunning display and interesting that at times you were viewing at eye level.

paulr

10 May 2015, 10:38:31 AM #291 Last Edit: 10 May 2015, 10:45:49 AM by paulr
Quote from: Steve J on 10 May 2015, 07:52:42 AM
A simply stunning display and interesting that at times you were viewing at eye level.

The more I look at the diorama and its strange shape :-\

and think about the constraints of the room, including two structural pillars that had to pass through the the diorama the more impressed I am at the way it so successfully tells it complex story.

A lot of careful thought has gone into the layout, the different heights and the raised platforms a some locations allow different views and highlight different features of the battle.

Overall it is 12.8 metres by 11.5 metres (or 42 feet by 38 feet in old money)

Another way to think about it is Battleship Hill with the Ottoman trenches, the first part of the diorama you see, is about four 6'x4' tables :o

paulr

24 June 2015, 08:48:09 AM #292 Last Edit: 24 June 2015, 08:50:41 AM by paulr
Matthew Wright, author and historian, has blogged on his visit to the diorama
https://mjwrightnz.wordpress.com/2015/06/24/peter-jacksons-re-definition-of-awesome-the-gallipoli-diorama-close-up/

QuoteLast weekend I visited Sir Peter Jackson's giant diorama of New Zealand's attack on Chunuk Bair at the height of the Gallipoli campaign in August 1915. Giant? You betcha. With 5000 custom-posed 54-mm figures, individually painted by volunteer wargamers from around New Zealand, the only word is wow!

And a couple of teaser photos...

The forward trench

The southern slope of Rhododendron spur looking back towards the Pinnacle and Apex

Techno

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

jchaos79

That is beautiful and great and ... wow... yep

good work

paulr

30 July 2015, 07:40:34 AM #296 Last Edit: 30 July 2015, 07:44:20 AM by paulr
The August Wargames Illustrated features a 10 page article on the Chunuk Bair diorama.

Now the article has been published further pictures of the diorama have been released http://anzacdiorama.blogspot.co.nz/2015/07/the-very-best-pics-of-massive-chunuk.html

There are a number of pictures there for those interested, make sure you click on the images on the blog to enlarge them and get the full effect of the images.

I've included a few 'teaser' images here but it is well worth visiting the blog.

Michael Perry is working on The Apex in the foreground, the two Weta Workshop staff in the middle distance are sitting at The Pinnacle, and way off in the distance two other staff are populating the trenches on Chunuk Bair itself.

QuoteAnother look at this amazing but horrible shot ... never in any diorama have we seen the cost and horror of battle so dramatically conveyed.

QuoteTwo unfortunate Turkish soldiers in a heart-wrenching little vignette.
One of many vignette scattered across the diorama, I wonder if that Turkish kabalak in the bottom left is one I painted :-\

Techno

You mean you didn't sign each one !  :o  ;)
Cheers - Phil