Mustering the Troops - Paul's modest contribution

Started by paulr, 11 February 2015, 07:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Thanks to Peter Jackson (the movie director) and Rhys Jones (wargamer and former Chief of Defense, New Zealand) I have been diverted from the one true scale  :o

As part the commemoration of the 100th Anniversary of WWI Peter has commissioned the Perrys to produce 4,000 :o 54mm figures :o :o that will be used to create a diorama of the fighting on Chunuk Bair.

Rhys suggested that NZ wargamers should paint the figures. I am one of the lucky 100 volunteers  :) :D

More information on the project can be found here, http://anzacdiorama.blogspot.co.nz
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Nosher

Nice one ;)

Look forward to Anzac Day every year. Meet up with some old boys and some serving chaps, remember, reminisce, swing a lamp or two and sup a fair quantity of ale along the way 8)
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Techno

Subedai

I saw some of these on the Perry website a while ago, they were nice and these are even nicer. Lot of work gone into them.

I also read somewhere Peter Jackson is mad for WW I and even has his own air force made up of aircraft from various nationalities at full size. I think it said in the article that the planes were all airworthy and are flown.

Good luck to everybody involved in the project -4,000 54mm figures is a major undertaking. 

Hope we will get to see some pics when it's finished.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

getagrip

How jealous is it possible to be with one head?  :)

Enjoy it ;)
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Fenton

I always enjoyed the ANZAC day parade in Melbourne. Nice to walk along looking at all the unit banners while the wife marched

I noticed last night that a new series called Gallipoli started on channel 9 in Oz the other night. Any of our antipodean members see it? and if yes what was it like?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

paulr

Quote from: Subedai on 11 February 2015, 08:32:10 PM
I saw some of these on the Perry website a while ago, they were nice and these are even nicer. Lot of work gone into them.

I also read somewhere Peter Jackson is mad for WW I and even has his own air force made up of aircraft from various nationalities at full size. I think it said in the article that the planes were all airworthy and are flown.

Good luck to everybody involved in the project -4,000 54mm figures is a major undertaking. 

Hope we will get to see some pics when it's finished.

There are a large numbr of different poses all sculpted to fit on the diorama

Not only does he have an air force he has a number of vehicles including an operating replica tank  :o

I've visited the museum that houses about 30 of his non-flying replicas several in diorama settings, very impressive.  Not been lucky enough to see the tank in action yet.

He is also building a 1:1 scale trench complex at the Army Museum in Waiouru

The first of the figures were finished this week, batches of several hundred are arriving every week or less

I'll share some pictures of mine as they progress and will definitely be visiting the finished diorama as it is in Wellington, hopefully photography will be allowed

Steve J

QuoteI also read somewhere Peter Jackson is mad for WW I and even has his own air force made up of aircraft from various nationalities at full size. I think it said in the article that the planes were all airworthy and are flown.

Yep he has his own extensive collection that featured in a great little programme on WWI planes a few years ago. He owns Wingnut Wings that produce stunning 1/32nd scale plane kits. The detail has to be seen to be believed.

paulr

A quick grab shot on my phone

The sublime to the ridiculous...  ;)

Some of my now stalled 10mm Arabs and one of the 54mm Turks before I glued the arms on  :o

Arms all glued on tonight, hopefully filling tomorrow night

Hertsblue

You've got to hand it to the Jackson boy - he does think big. Mind you he'll probably find that the LotR trilogy was peanuts compared to getting 100 wargamers to cooperate.  ;)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

paulr

Quote from: Hertsblue on 12 February 2015, 09:16:22 AM
You've got to hand it to the Jackson boy - he does think big. Mind you he'll probably find that the LotR trilogy was peanuts compared to getting 100 wargamers to cooperate.  ;)

He and his second unit directors have had plenty of practise. A lot of NZ wargamers managed to get to be extras in one or more of the movies  ;)

I only got to be a sound extra :(

They were having trouble getting the sound right for some of the big battle scenes >:(

So they turned up at a one day cricket match and between innings got the crowd to stamp, shout and growl. That gave the SFX guys enough to work with ;)

Matt J

Paul, you are a lucky man to be involved with such a great project! (incredibly jealous  :))

Please keep us updated with progress
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Hertsblue

Quote from: paulr on 12 February 2015, 09:25:08 AM
He and his second unit directors have had plenty of practise. A lot of NZ wargamers managed to get to be extras in one or more of the movies  ;)

I imagine half the population got to be extras. NZ's not exactly over-populated.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

paulr

My first five Turks; glued, filled and base coated  :)

I've even had to make some special rods to hold the figures they are so much bigger than what I am used to  :o